Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Last Day of School

It is the last day of school here......such mixed emotions. I have been waiting for this day for so long, (like most teachers) but it is very bittersweet. The fifth graders will get promoted to sixth graders......and go off to live their own lives........(sob).....fly, little birds, fly! I am such a sap. I will have to walk into the auditorium and think this time I will not cry. But I probably will. See, I have taught these kids since they were kindy-gartners. I have been in their classrooms once a week since their first few moments of school and now, they are ready to meet the world beyond the fence of our playground. Which is great. Really.

And yet......

I will miss them. I am happy for them, but sad for me. These kids are, well, they are just great kids. Really great. The kind of kids who make a difference, the kind of kids who make change happen.

I am honored to have been their teacher (well, one of their teachers) for the past six years.

Sigh.

Got to go put more tissues in my royal robe.

No comments: