Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Auld Sod

When my daughter Isabelle was 12 she qualified for the World Championships of Irish Dance which were held in the west of Ireland.

We could barely afford it. We scraped together enough to send her and Sean (my husband) to Ennis. She was the first from my side of the family to back to Ireland, the first to touch her foot on Irish soil since my forefathers (and foremothers) bravely sailed across the ocean to create a new life in America.

The first to touch her foot...how appropriate that her feet came back to dance!

So, just a peek into Irish dance life. This is the trailer for the film Jig, a new documentary that releases in Ireland in April.

Here's hoping it will come to America. You can imagine how jazzed we are!




(Shhhhh, I am going to tell you a secret. There is a little bit of Irish dancing in The Seven Tales of Trinket, but you will have to wait until 2012 to read it. But, um, there is not any big, Shirley Temple hair.)

Happy March!

hrh

7 comments:

Catherine Denton said...

Yes, this movie must to America! Or maybe I could go to Ireland. *dreamy sigh** Ireland... Sigh, sigh sigh.
My Blog

Anonymous said...

I think the Irish accent is gorgeous. How exciting it would have been for your little girl. :o)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Oh, that trailer got my blood racing. I sure hope the film comes here.
I've been to Ireland a few times and long to return, especially to the wild coastal areas.

Myrna Foster said...

That looks like so much FUN!

my word verification - "bouncr"

Yat-Yee said...

Wow! Your daughter must be very good. I hope she had a great time. A huge event like this can make great and lasting impressions. Is she still dancing?

I would definitely want to watch this film.

When so many people think kids are getting blase and bored, it's so wonderful to see young people everywhere working hard and striving for excellence.

Thanks for sharing.

Roxy said...

Loved the clip of this movie and the Shirley Temple convention comment. Irish dancing is so awesome. I can't believe how strong and yet agile those dancers are. How fun that your daughter went to Ireland and danced in the land of her ancestors.

storyqueen said...

Catherine-I did get to go to Ireland once to watch two of my daughters dance. It was so wonderful....

Niki-She had a great time, but it was six years ago! Unfortunately, she rolled her ankle a few weeks, but before, but she was a trooper...really wanted to dance on that world stage.

Tricia-I have only been to the west of Ireland, around the ring of Kerry, bu I can't imagine liking any place better.

Myrna-Ha! bouncing hair for sure!

Yat-Yee-Yes, she is 18 and still dancing. My eldest just retired last summer (at 20) and my youngest is still going strong. Issy, the middle has qualified for the World championships six times, though we have only been able to send her twice.

Roxy-It was very important to me that she got the chance to go to Ireland, since she earned her spot. However, all of my kids have decided along the way that they enjoy dancing for an audience far more than for a panel of judges.

Personally, I don't know how they do it.