Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

The 22nd Day

On the 22nd day (I had been running every day for 21 days straight.  Every.Single.Day), something happened.

I know they say that you need to do something 21 times for a habit to kick in.

I've never really believed stuff like that.


But on the 22nd day, I sprinted.

My knees didn't ache, nor did my ankles.  And when I got to the park near my house, I just felt like running as fast as I could, so I did.

I supposed I posted this so I could tell you how it relates to writing, but I don't think you need me to make the obvious connection for you.

The more you do something, the better you get.

In that vein, here are somethings I want to get better at, hence I should do more of :

1.  Petting my dog's tummy in just the right way.

2.  Sleeping and dreaming GOOD dreams.

3.  Prioritizing.

4.  Baking apricot pecan bread.

5.  Writing beautifully crafted scenes.

6.  Cracking myself up with my words.

7.  Loving every moment in this life and appreciating it for the lesson it is trying to teach me.

Wishing you a weekend filled with wonderful moments.

hrh

Oh, and Sarah the Bookduck interviewed me yesterday.  Here is the link.  Watch out for Popeye.

12 comments:

Jess said...

That's awesome! Way to go, Shelley!

And, mmmmmmm... apricot pecan bread :)

Joanne R. Fritz said...

You have a nice weekend too, Shelley!

Love that you've kept up with the running. You're already a winner at writing.

Kelly Polark said...

That is awesome! Way to keep it up!!!

Your sleeping good dreams comment made me think of my kindergarten student tell me that he dreamt that I was a wicked witch! I should have been insulted, but he's a sweet, sweet kid. I told my husband & he said, "Yup, I've had that dream before." Stinker! :)

Catherine Denton said...

Loved your interview! That's awesome that you were able to sprint and feel good with it. I need to remember this lesson. My daughter used to pipe a little song, "Practice and tomorrow I'll be better than today". It still rings in my ears.
My Blog

Stina said...

# 4 sounds yummy!

My words crack me up--even when they're not supposed to. :(

Oooooh on the beautifully crafted scenes. I'll join you on that one. :D

Stephanie Thornton said...

That apricot pecan bread sounds scrumptious!

And I never would have believed it about running, but it does feel darn good to sprint like the dickens sometimes. I'm trying to decide whether to do a half-marathon this summer.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I love it when you crack me up as well as when I crack me up. Laughing at one's own words is a pretty cool perk of being a writer.

Have a great weekend.

Myrna Foster said...

Hurray for you!

Julie Dao said...

Go, go, go, Shelley! You can do it! This post was so inspiring. I love that sudden burst of energy you get sometimes when you're running OR writing - there's nothing like it. I hope you get better at all of those things too - especially the apricot pecan bread, which sounds divine :)

Unknown said...

Can I just invite myself over on the days you're practicing that apricot pecan bread? Mm!

#3 and 7 are definitely high on my list. Being a better friend is on there, too. I LOVE #2 and 6!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Wow! Way to go! You are inspiring me to try running again. Maybe I'll put up a little calendar by the treadmill with a countdown until my body accepts the running. LOL!

Christina Lee said...

AWWW, I so love this, esp. #1!!