Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March Goals

So..the goals:

1. Make a plan for the next six months about blog posts relating to THE SEVEN TALES OF TRINKET. I am thinking of highlighting a creature from Celtic mythology each month.  (Lots of magical creatures make appearances in Trinket's tales.)  Thinking I will start this series on April 4th and continue it on the 4th of each month, since that is my release day (in September, of course.)

2.  Revise two picturebooks:  BOOM, BOOM, BOOM and I WANT CAKE.

3. Draft one more picturebook:  LAZY HIPPO WON'T GET UP (or something like that...and it's not based on events or characters here at home, so don't think that at all;)

4.  Revise FEATHERS, SONGS, AND CURSES for structure.  I find that when I write a novel, I kind of  create a metaphor for what the structure of that story will look like (in my mind, of course.)  For Trinket, that image was of a necklace with seven charms (one for each tale) and seven tiny beads or pearls in between each charm (to represent the seven poems.)

For Feathers, my image is two trees, standing a bit apart, but slowly growing together, until they are intertwined and entangled and it is impossible to tell, when looking at a branch, which tree it belongs to. Two completely different trees leading two very different lives until something happens that causes them to grow together.  (But each tree must be equally strong, so that it does not overpower the other.  And that is why I am doing a structural revision.)

(Does anyone else do this--picture the structure of their stories in their heads? Please tell me I am not alone!)

And, I want to finish this all by the end of the month (or sooner maybe.)

So, I guess I'll be busy.

Here's wishing you a busy March as well!

hrh

5 comments:

Julie Dao said...

I really love the way you think of the structure of your stories, Shelley! Personally, I always envision a road. At the end of each chapter is a pause in the road trip - sometimes a sketchy truck stop, sometimes a bed and breakfast, depending on how rough the writing was. Lots of bumps and obstacles, but I always picture the finish line at the very end. Good luck with all of your March goals!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some great goals. Happy March!

Susanne
PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

Elana Johnson said...

You are busy! And BTW, I seriously LOL'ed at #3 and how it wasn't biographical. That was awesome.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

It sounds like you have a super plan for March. :) I'm trying to whip Lenny's and my pb into shape to take to a conference, plus I'm working on my mg hf novel....busy busy busy.

Hardygirl said...

Wow! This is ambitious!!!

And I love, love, love how you picture your stories!! Makes me want to go and sketch one out right NOW.

sf