Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pretend It Is December For Just a Minute More: SLJ Review

Bear with me here--just give me five more minutes of December, then you can move on with the rest of January.  See, I forgot to post this, and well, it's really lovely and I'd like you to see it.

This is from the December issue of School Library Journal:


THOMAS, Shelley Moore. The Seven Tales of Trinket. illus. by Dan Craig. 370p. Farrar. 2012. Tr $16.99. ISBN 978-0-374-36745-9; ebook $9.99. ISBN 978-0-374-36744-2.
Gr 4-6–Set in a fantasy version of the Middle Ages and shot through with medieval-style magic, this is the story of 11-year-old Trinket, who takes to the road, accompanied by Thomas the Pig Boy, after her mother dies. She is in search of her father, a traveling storyteller who left when she was little. As she journeys, she discovers her courage, her own storytelling gifts, and a strong sense of self. The episodic narrative consists of a series of linked stories, one to a chapter, in each of which there is an adventure or a conflict with magical creatures, including fairies, a banshee, a highwayman, and a pooka. These stories are tied to Trinket’s own development as a storyteller. Her adventures are expertly told, with some suspense or danger in each chapter. However, the danger is resolved by the end of the chapter, giving the whole a gentle, reassuring feel. One is reminded of the world of folktale journeys and quests. The language is simple and direct, with a sprinkling of archaic words adding a taste of the medieval. Trinket’s character is clearly drawn, and her determination and sense of self come to the fore when she is confronted by the Old Burned Man and the reality of who he is. The accessible format will appeal to readers who like their fantasy not too scary, and the flow of the narrative lends itself to being read aloud.–Sue Giffard, Ethical Culture Fieldston School, New York City

Thank you, SLJ!

(And my favorite part of the review--"...expertly told..." 

My head is so fat I might not be able to fit it out of the door for my morning run:)

And, since we are spending 5 more minutes in December, let's talk resolutions before the year steamrolls any further.

I am not doing any resolutions this year.  Don't get me wrong--I liked mine from last year.

1. Read more
2. Write more
3. Laugh more

They worked well for me.  

But for 2013, I want to focus on Gratitude and Goals.  I want to be grateful for wherever I am in my writing live.  I really want to smell the roses, or the grass, or the moist dirt, or whatever. I will probably be making some gratitude lists throughout the year to help me remember.

As for Goals, I think I just want to make a list of stuff I want to do.  No resolution...just a list I can check off.  (I am useless without lists. I rely on them for most everything.  Why not use one to shape my 2013?)

1.  Go someplace in 2013 I have never been before.
2.  Eat food from a different restaurant each month (something NEW--not the same old take-out)
3. Make monthly writing goals the first week of each month. (I used to do this and it really helps me focus.)
4. Write 4 picture books.
5. Write 2 chapterbooks
6. Finish revising middle grade novel, start a draft of another.
7. Run everyday.
8. De-clutter each cupboard and closet (at least once--not that it will stay that way, but--)
9. Do one special thing with each of my daughters.

And there you go.  

Okay. I guess it's okay to return to 2013.

I am ready.

hrh



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome review! Thanks for sharing it. Great goals for 2013.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Love that! I like that line about the reviewer being reminded of folktale journeys.

as for your goals--I remain awed by what you strive for and look forward to you checking off that list. ;)

Catherine Denton said...

I love your list, especially clearing out the cabinets ~ a least once.(hee-hee)

And that REVIEW, holy cow!!! They NAILED it!! Trinket is most definitely "expertly told".
Catherine Denton

Jessie Oliveros said...

Congratulations on such a great review. And on being married for 25 years. That is something to celebrate. I didn't read many books last year, but I'd like to read more this year and your book is at the top. Good luck with your "goals" :)

Julie Dao said...

WONDERFUL. Trinket is currently sitting on my bedside table, waiting for my ever-growing queue of books to shrink so it'll be her turn. I can't wait! And those are great goals for 2013. I'm also hoping to go somewhere I've never been!