Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cow Eyeballs and Determination

Today I don't feel much like blogging.  I don't really feel too much like writing at all, as a matter of fact.  And this is really bumming me out because it is Sunday, a day when I usually actually have time to write.

But I just don't feel like doing it.

I know I probably need to push through, because really, when you get stuck in the middle of something, the only way out is through.  The thing is, unfortunately, that you can push through in just about any direction to get out, and what if, what if you choose the wrong one?  I'll tell you what happens.  You end up with the wrong ending.

The wrong ending is not a good thing.

I have, once or twice, made it to the ending of a book I was writing and it was the wrong one.  (I hate this in books that I read, as well--oooooohhhhh!!  When that ending is wrong, it just chaps me!!)  It was painful to go back, retrace the steps and figure out just where I started going the wrong way.

Painful, Shelley, but not impossible.

These are the things I need to remind myself. Painful.  But possible.  What I am doing is most definitely not impossible.  Being in my classroom on Friday while my class dissected cow eyeballs (in order to discover how the eye works), THAT was far more impossible than what I ask of myself when I sit down to write. (And I only gagged a few times during the cow eyeball thing.  My class was awesome. No gagging or puking.  I think there are definitely some future doctors and vets in the group.)

Writing is not only possible, it is all about possibilities.  The very act of writing itself creates possibilities that did not exist until the words live on the paper for the first time.

How can I sit here and claim that I just don't feel like it?

Shelley, that is very lame, if I do say so myself.

So, I am ending this blog and opening the document.  I will choose a direction and create possibilities.

It's not brain surgery, after all--or cow eyeball surgery.

Wishing you the best of luck on getting through whatever mire-of-a-middle you've made for yourself in your writing.

The only way out is through.

xo-

hrh

5 comments:

Me and the Professor said...

Onward & upward!

Julie Dao said...

I was VERY unmotivated yesterday too. Must be going around lately!

Margo Berendsen said...

I love all the possibilities that open up with writing! Given that, though, there are simply days when I need creative filling other ways: reading, lazing around watching movies, getting out to socialize.

I just try not to let those non-writing days add up for too long!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Even thinking about cow eyeballs surgery is hard. Maybe next time I think writing is hard, I'll think of eyeballs and get right on the writing. ;) That said, you are a very productive writer so don't let an occasional snow day throw you off.

Laura S. said...

I hear you! Sometimes there are days when you just don't want to do it. When moments like that happen, I remind myself that the time is going to pass anyway, and when it does, I'll really regret not writing. So I get it done! Then at the end of the day I'm really glad I did.

Good luck, Shelley!!