Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Why We Do What We Do

It is so easy to forget.

It is so easy to get caught up in the daily struggle of work, life, everything, etc., etc., etc., that we don't remember the real reasons why we do the things we do.

Ten years ago, I got a letter in the mail from a child.  Aside from making me cry a little, it reminded me exactly why I do what I do, why I write stories for children.

I kept that letter with me in my writing book for a long time. Years, actually, until one day, I couldn't find it. I was heartbroken that I'd lost it, for it had become my talisman in dark writing times.  Because I had the strength of this one letter, I must be doing something right.  It had become my flashlight.  My lightsaber (and you know how I feel about those!!) And I had lost it.

And then a few days ago I was cleaning out a bookshelf and a white paper floated to the ground.


 And so you see, my book, GOOD NIGHT, GOOD KNIGHT was the first book little Wesley A. Orred read by himself.

And that is why I do what I do.

hrh

5 comments:

Jess said...

Oh my goodness. Just got a little teary-eyed myself.

Julie Dao said...

I love this so much, and am so glad you found it after all this time!

Laura S. said...

That is such a sweet letter! I'm glad you found it. What a treasure!

Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

Anonymous said...

So glad that your letter was only temporarily missing. What a wonderful reminder of why you do what you do. : )

Nancy Villalobos said...

That is the spark that keeps us writing, even in the dark.