Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Progress

I should have updated my progress back at the end of February...but alas.  And now April is looming and I need to figure out where I am and what direction I need to go.

First, the latest stats:

1.  Icky Chicky-a VERY short picture book (less than 100 words) that cracks me up.  (Get it?  Cracks me up?)  DONE

2.  Bob the Slob and the Wobbly Blob-picture book, rhyming, silly.700 words. DONE

3.  Nix the Naughty-chapter book, DONE

4.  Seven Tales of Trinket-middle grade, editing with agent IN PROGRESS.

5.  Chicken Wizard-easy reader, 850 words, DONE

6.  Wren Faire-teen/young adult, REVISING.

7.  Surfiesta-poetry/picture book, still working on.

So, um, at first glance, it seems kind of good, right?  Lots of DONEs.  But the thing is, I'm not used to having a lot of pieces finished at around the same time.  Usually, I have more WIP's going.  (I don't recommend it for everyone, but I know it works for me.Maybe a middle grade or two, a couple of picture books..that kind of thing.)

Meaning: I have to start some new things (a new middle grade would be nice....)

And I am struggling.

Which to choose, which to choose?  WHICH TO CHOOSE!!??

Here is my plan:  I am going to write the queries of the 4  middle books* I cannot decide about, start in on them a bit and see where it takes me.  Hopefully, I'll have it narrowed to 2 by Thursday.  (I can handle 2 brand new ideas at a time, but no more than that......)  If have not sufficiently narrowed my focus by then, I am going to post one sentence descriptions of the stories in question and YOU can tell me what you think.


*Do you hear that, little ideas?  If you don't hurry up and decide amongst yourselves who gets to go first, I'm going to let the blogosphere decide...and you'll just have to live with it!!!

So there.

hrh

Edited to include the fact that I have been working on these pieces for a long time...since Fall....you can see the titles over and over again in my progress reportsI seriously didn't write them all in one month!!!  It's just weird that I've finished them at around the same time...

Seriously, I don't really get THAT much done....

19 comments:

Doreen McGettigan said...

Boy you have a lot of balls up in the air..I can only handle working on 3 writings at a time..unless you count my idea book...

Shannon O'Donnell said...

You amaze me! When I grow up, I want to be as productive a writer as you. :-)

Jackee said...

First, great job on your list. You DO get THAT much done, compared to most of us. Second, that sounds like a great plan--I get to see what you're up to and we all get to decide which next great Shelley book is in the works.

So I'll await the queries!

Dawn Simon said...

Your progress posts impress me every time! And I always love your titles!

Good luck with the new ideas!

Myrna Foster said...

Did you change the title of your MG? I love it, but I don't remember seeing it before. Anywho, I admire you for getting so much done, and I can't wait to read the finished products with my kiddos.

Laura Pauling said...

I totally understand where you are because I'm in that position too. Except I'm querying. But usually I have another project started and I didn't. So before I started a new project for the long haul, I'm considering and considering and experimenting. Good luck!

Susan R. Mills said...

You've accomplished a lot in the last few months. Good for you!

Tess said...

That is really fantastic project .. love some of those titles. Now, I'm impressed you can work on multiple projects. I'm a one or two at a time kind of gal. And, here's a question ... will your agent put all of them on submission at the same time? or one at a time? how does that work when you have multiple pieces ready? just curious...

Julie Dao said...

Looks impressive to me! I think you got a LOT done. Your titles are fantastic and I can't wait to see them sitting on bookshelves!

Sherrie Petersen said...

I can't even focus on two at once. It makes me crazy and irritable! So congrats -- you've got a LOT done IMHO :D

storyqueen said...

Doreen-I take my idea book with me everywhere I go. otherwise....I'd be so lost!

Shannon-I'm not that productive....just persistent, with a constant need to amuse myself.

Jackee-I thought I'd have a decision today about which ideas to pursue...but noooooooo

Dawn-Thank you (especially the bit about the titles. Most of the time, it all starts with the title)

Myrna-Yes! I did change the title...I am wondering if I ever mentioned the old title on the blog...might have to look through the archives, but it was formerly titled Story Lass, and something even more wretched before that.

Laura-Start that project!! (Otherwise, it's too easy to sit and worry about queries...yuck)

Susan-Thank you...part of the reason I post it on the blog is so that I can look at it and say to myself, "See, Shelley, you DID get something done.)

Tess-Actually, I have no idea. We have been working on the middle grade, and just this weekend I sent her a couple of picture books and a chapterbook. I am not sure how it all works in terms of submissions. (But part of the reason I really wanted an agent is for someone to work on that end of things for me so I can focus on the writing. I cannot tell you how good it feels...)

Julie-Well, first someone has to buy them...and that doesn't always happen....but it would be cool if some of them sold.

Sherrie-But that is precisely the reason I work on a few at a time!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Congratulations, Shelley! And, eeks for me, who only has one pan on the fire and can't finish cooking it. Sheesh.
I love your ideas in line and writing queries for them. Makes me smile and, again, say, wow.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Wow...Wow...Wow! I wish I could finish one project. I just keep starting new ones... I think I'm going to take the day off and do some art tomorrow. :) Maybe I can get focused.

jdsanc said...

Wow! You are so amazing! I would love to have that many DONEs. I hate worrying myself through that "almost done" phase. I just can't seem to let go and will open and reread and close and put away until I have to send it to a reader just so I can't touch it.
PS Great titles!!

Clementine said...

Wooohoo! That must feel wonderful. I sort of hope you can't decide so we can read your ideas. I just love your idea about writing the query before the project. That is really helping me, Shelley!

Unknown said...

LOL, having lots done sounds like a good problem to have to me! :)

storyqueen said...

Tricia-But your pan is almost done cooking...and then, my friend, a feast of wonderful-ness!

Sharon-I have trouble finishing, too...which is why it is so weird I have so much done right now. It's unnatural.

jd-I recently did that with a piece...but it was good to not touch it because I wasn't sure what I needed to do.

Amy-As of now, no decision.

Beth-But it just feels kind of empty-ish. (whine, whine, whine!)

Jessie Oliveros said...

Oh come on you didn't need the disclaimer. Just let us all think you are really THAT productive. (By the way, did you ever send me some of your productivity when I blog-asked for it?) I like the title of your middle grade.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

wow!