Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Books I Loved in 2010



I thought I'd take some posts to talk about some books I really loved this past year. Some books have been around for a while, some are new this year, and some are so new they come out next week. Like this one:

I was lucky enough to get to read Stephanie's book this past summer. And I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. No really, I just can't tell you. There aren't words fun enough to describe the awesome-swoonworthiness of this book. Anna's adventure in Paris is just the kind of adventure I imagined for myself about a jillion times over as a teen-ager.

I really just loved it.

This book touched my heart and reminded me a bit about the hopes and dreams of my teenage self. It is not just the way she describes things (like Paris) that made me fall in love, but it is the voice of Anna herself. (And this book will make you hungry, too. Seriously.) I know Steph is busy at work editing her next book, and she just sold her third one, so I get to look forward to more Steph-stuff in the future. Yay!!!

And Stephanie Perkins is a lucky duck. Finally, her baby releases to the world on December 2. That's less than a week away. Which makes you a lucky duck, too, because you can buy it as a Christmas present for that special teenage girl you know.

Go ahead. Be the person who is cool enough to give a book as a gift.

Speaking of buying books, if you are in the SoCal neighborhood, (as in Oceanside) on November 30th, I'll be doing a signing from 4-9 at Barnes and Noble. I'll have special guests with me, of course. There will be children's kazoo performances, and a hula-a-long (to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer) and I'll be doing a couple of readings, at 5:30 and 7:30. Seriously, it will be more fun Christmas shopping than should be legal. AND 20% of all purchases will benefit Jefferson Elementary School.

hrh

10 comments:

Rebecca Gomez said...

I love reading about books that other people loved.

One of the first books I read this year was Kathi Appelt's The Underneath. And it is the one that has stuck with me the most. Beautiful book!

Catherine Denton said...

Sounds fabulous! Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to be anywhere near the SoCal area, : ( , but I wanted to say that I hope the book signing goes well. It sounds like it will be lots of fun!

Stephanie Perkins said...

♥ So much love. Thank you. ♥

I hope you have a wonderful signing! It sounds FUN!!

My favorite novel this year was Elizabeth Hand's Illyria. Haunting and beautiful. I checked it out from the library in the morning, read it that day, and bought it at the bookstore that same night!

lisa and laura said...

I'm DYING to read this book. Can't wait till it's out in the wild! Hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving!

L. T. Host said...

If you ever come further south, to La Mesa, say, for a signing, I will totally be there! Hope the signings go well and I can't wait to pick up ANNA for myself and a couple friends, none of whom are teenagers but all of whom will like it, I'm sure.

Jemi Fraser said...

I've heard so many good things about this book - it's definitely on my wishlist!! :)

jdsanc said...

I love hearing what people's favorite books are. I'm reading The Personal History of Rachel Dupree right now because I overheard a librarian saying it was her favorite read this year. It's wonderful. I'll have to have a go at your selection. Certainly a great title!

storyqueen said...

Rebecca-I am excited to read the Underneath. I have heard so much about it!

Catherine-I'll be talking about more books I loved soon.

Susanne-It was great!

Stephanie-I remember reading your review of Illyria. It sounded sooo compelling.

L and L-You will LOVE it!

LT-I did one at Yellow Book Road in last summer, I hope to do one there when the new book comes out.

Jemi-You won't be sorry!

Jd-I just heard about this one last week. I am excited to read it too!

Kiki Hamilton said...

I just bought it for my 14 yo daughter and I can't wait to read it too. We were in Paris for a day last year so I'm sure that will add to the fun of what I'm expecting to be a wonderful book!