Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

What Really Freaks Me Out

It's no secret that I love to read other writers' blogs.  I love to hear how they get their ideas, how they grapple with the whole publishing world--the thrill of victory, agony of defeat, etc.

Except there is a time I should NEVER read writing blogs.

And that time is now.

Because I am trying to start something new.

Sometimes, reading a blog about writing is like being pregnant and everyone around you who has ever given birth tells you their labor battle stories and you wonder what have I gotten myself into?


For some reason, I keep stumbling into blogs (or tweets) that remind me how HARD writing is...ooooohhhh, the struggle!!  And it makes me afraid.

I don't want to be afraid to write.  Writing brings me so much joy.  I need to read the posts that remind me of the awesomeness of it.  I need to read about the wonder of  THE FLOW--that magic time where words just begin to seep out of you in perfect order...*sigh*.

But instead, I keep finding the exact opposite. The Woes of the Struggle have no end.

Perhaps that's the lesson.

We don't begin a writing project because we think it will be easy*.  We go in, knowing that there are, in fact,  serpents hiding in the forest, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. Waiting to test the very mettle of our desire to seek the truth of the story. Waiting to bite.

 Yet we still go in.

We do it anyway.

Okay...I guess I am ready now.  Hand me my sword, will you?

hrh

*Let's be honest.  Sometimes writing really is easy.  Everyone who is a writer has had that story, that book, that whatever, that was easy as pie to get down on paper.  Maybe that's why we keep at it--the hope that once again we'll find the easy way!

9 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

I love your new blog look!!

And yes, writing is certainly hard at times and easy at others. I find it easiest to start. But hardest to finish!

Stephanie Thornton said...

I've found the hardest thing is for me to actually sit down and start writing. Until that moment, I can get all sorts of worked up about what I'm going to write, but once the words start flying, that all fades away.

Well, usually, anyway. :)

Happy writing!

Julie Dao said...

I'm with you! I've got my sword handy, too. We know it's a scary dark forest but we plunge in anyway because with all the people who are afraid, there are those who have made it through... and we want to, too!

Anonymous said...

You have your trusty sword and you are ready to slay the serpent.

Joanne R. Fritz said...

I'm with Kelly. It's easy to start, hard to finish.

Enter yon forest, Shelley, and conquer it! Thanks for this. You said something that I think really needs to be said on the internet, and unfortunately too few people are saying it.

But we all need to take action, to spend more time writing and less time whining (and less time on blogs in the first place).

Stina said...

If writing were easy, I wouldn't be doing it. I love the challenge. :D

PJ Hoover said...

Yes, great new blog look!

You know what's funny? In the last six months it has finally dawned on me how hard writing is, and so I've been saying this in school visits, etc. And the more I vocalize it, the less frightening the whole thing becomes. Feel the fear and do it anyway and that is what leads to ultimate success (I hope!).

Good luck!

Dawn Simon said...

Your blog looks great!

Yes, the ups and downs. Usually I get super inspired reading about the journey. There are times, though, when I need to retreat into my hidey-hole and just write. I'm contemplating doing that this summer.

Do whatever works for you! Good luck!

By the way, I won't be able to make it to L.A. this year, but I'm hoping to meet you in person at another conference before long! :)

erica and christy said...

I love that cover! And yes, happy blog posts are definitely better! Good luck!
erica