Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

NaChoCheeseMo

No.  The title doesn't have any real significance.

Except that, oh did I tell you?  I challenged my third-graders to do NaNoWriMo.

Seriously. (Except that NaCho cheese-mo sounds funnier so we like it better because third grade is all about the funny)

We are all (we as in me, too) going to write our books in November, then spiff them up in December. (Theirs will spiff into little hard cover books we will "publish" in class. Who knows what will happen with mine.)

Our plan is a little modified.  There is no word minimum that needs to be reached, thank goodness! (50 k is a LOT.)  I am working on a chapterbook, around 10,000 words so I think I can make it.  It's about a fire-breathing dog, in case you were wondering.  I have wanted to write about a fire-breathing dog for MONTHS but every time I started to do it, the story couldn't seem to decide if it wanted to be a novel or a picturebook.  I am forcing it to compromise, because that's what an author can do, you know?

This is my classroom after school.  You can see my head peeking over the desks.  I am busy painting a sign or dinosaur footprints or somesuch.  Photo take with my new phone that does far too much.
But before I can really work on my NaCho, I have to  finish a book I've been working on for MONTHS!!  And IT ENDS NOW!  This weekend.  It. Will. Be. Finished.

There.  I've put in in print.  I am committed.  I shall begin finishing.

Tomorrow, of course.

hrh

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS to your class for taking the NaChoCheeseMo challenge! That is AWESOME!

Catherine Denton said...

I figured the name NaChoCheeseMo was because families are eating loads of mac-n-cheese this month due to all the writing.
Catherine Denton

Jessica Lawson said...

How cool is that~ mini NaNo-ers :)

Good luck finishing your book this weekend! (your classroom is super cute!)

erica and christy said...

That is cool. I teach first grade, and they are amazing writers, so....now I'm thinking about this. Your title grabbed my attention because I love nachos and cheese. They are my fave. I would definitely have to call it that in my classroom too, so I could serve the tasty treat! christy

Julie Dao said...

NaChoCheeseMo makes me... HUNGRY! I love this idea! Hope you share some of the stories that your budding novelists come up with!

Lydia Kang said...

Good luck on NaCho! (don't forget the jalapenos.)

Myrna Foster said...

What a fantastic idea! Happy writing! :o)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Best teacher ever. Seriously, I'd go back to third grade for a teacher like you. :)

Dawn Simon said...

Love it, love it, love it! NaChoCheeseMo! Wee-hee-hee!

Your students are so lucky to have you as a teacher!

Happy Thanksgiving! <3