Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

Stuff to Love

So, lots of stuff to love this week!

The week started off amazingly!  On Saturday night, I was the keynote speaker at the California State Library Association Conference Dinner (to honor California Young Reader Medal winner Mo Willems--who could not be there due to being in Paris for the year.)

It was on a boat. Seriously.


A BOAT!  It was so cool.  The buffet was downstairs, then you walk upstairs...gorgeous!


This is the ceiling!  Stained glass like a Tiffany lamp.  I want one.
At the dinner I sat next to this amazing third-grader named Daniel. His job was to give his reflections on the importance of the CYRM to children, and to introduce the clip of Mo Willems accepting his award from Paris. I was a little nervous about giving my upcoming speech so I engaged Daniel in conversation.

Me:  I'm a little nervous.  Are you nervous.

Daniel:  Nope.

Me:  Really?

Daniel:  Just remember to have a good time. Even if you mess up, just have a good time.

Wise, wise words from an eight year old.

Really bad selfie of Daniel and me taken by the lady who canNOT take a selfie.  Me. Plus, this is the only picture of the night in which you can see the awesome 800 lb crystal necklace I am wearing.  It was sparkle-tacular.  Thank you for letting me wear it, Issy.
We signed each other's programs from the night, which was cool. Then I spoke for a while about how to find magic in the mistakes of life and how many of my books had actually been inspired by mistakes.  (Shocking, I know!) The audience was wonderful and laughed in the right places.  Whew.

This is what the room looked like after--when I remembered to take a picture!  Gorgeous boat!

When I was signing books in the lobby, Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver were, too!  This is the only sneaky photo I could get because my table was too far away.  Alas.

WHAT IS THIS?  IS THAT THE SEVEN TALES OF TRINKET IN PAPERBACK???

Yes.  That IS THE SEVEN TALES OF TRINKET in paperback.  It really didn't release until Tuesday, February 11th, but Miss Nelson's Bookstore managed to get it a few days early and had it there for the event. Yay!

It is SO pretty!  
And there is BONUS material inside!!

There is an interview in which you can find out which superpower I would have if I got to choose. (Which my husband did not even know.  He said I would choose time-travel, which I said could not even really be a superpower.  Time-travel would need a device, and a device was not a superpower, unless you had invented the device with a super-brain.  A twenty-minute debate ensued.  Yes, this is what we talk about in the Thomas house.)

AND There is MORE BONUS!!!

AN EIGHTH TALE!

The only place you can read the eighth tale is in the paperback.
See? You cannot read it here because it is tiny. And blurry. And sideways. But if you get the paperback, you can read it in regular size and not blurry. And not sideways, either.
So, so much to love today!!

xo-

hrh





5 comments:

Me and the Professor said...

Loved your eight-year-old's advice! I'll try to remember it myself.

Nancy Villalobos said...

What a wonderful recounting of an exciting and validating event for our favorite children's author. Love the third grader's advice, of course, no surprise there. The wisdom of children...

Myrna Foster said...

That sounds like so much fun. Except for the speech part--I'd have been a wreck.

Also, as much as I love Trinket's original cover, I think the paperback's is even better.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Kelly Polark said...

Yay for you as keynote speaker! Looks like an AMAZING event!! Your necklace is beautiful! Perfect evening to wear it!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Bonus!!! Well, I need that!
I smiled throughout this post--Daniel, stained glass ceiling, piles of your books. Le sigh. Sometimes life is good.