Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Onward

So, things have been pretty busy around here.  Being a teacher, I have entered that time of year that I always think of as THE RUNAWAY TRAIN--where you just hold on for dear life and hope that you don't crash or anything. Also, I've been working on three projects extensively.  Two of them I've already told  you about (picture books that come out next year) and one I have not told you about yet, but hopefully will be able to, soon. And then there's the whole other part of my life. The family part. In the past few weeks we've welcomed a new puppy and one week later, we welcomed a visit from my parents for Isabelle's college graduation.

Let me just tell it like it is--I've been living in a house full of craziness!  (And then remember what I said about going to work where things are RUNAWAY TRAIN CRAZY!)

*Deep breath*

Onward.

I was particularly moved at the college graduation last Tuesday.  There is something about ceremonies that just choke me up.  Baptisms, weddings, funerals, graduations.  Sigh.  Graduations get to me in a real positive-isn't-the-world-an-amazing-place kind of way.

And, being a writer, I often ponder what I would say if I was ever to give a commencement address (especially if my mind begins to wander during Pomp and Circumstance.)

I think I would include this quote because it is beautiful and speaks to my heart:

 If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.

And I think I would tell graduates not to be afraid of hard work.  We might wish upon stars for our dreams to be granted to us, but we can make our own dreams come true if we are willing to work hard enough.  

And that is maybe about all I would say, because I would remember that sitting for a long time is really hard, particularly in those white chairs they always use....

hrh

2 comments:

Nancy Villalobos said...

So glad you're back posting! What a lovely post about graduations. Having one in my family this year is also sobering and I know I will tear up when my first grandson steps onto the stage, four days after the wedding of my youngest daughter. Yikes! BTW you might like J.K. Rowling's commencement address at Harvard.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I've been on the crazy train too, since January! I'm so pleased that my contests are all finished, graduation is over, and (drum roll) I submitted my R & R to an agent who sounds excited about my historical fiction...

Don't forget to take a breather...