Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Small Thought on a Sunday Night

On February 2, the American Library Association will announce their Big Prizes (Caldecott, Newbery, Printz, etc).

I have such mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I love finding out who the winners are and adding them to my TBR list (or cheering if I was fortunate enough to have read them already). It's important and special and all the winners make me feel proud to be part of the world of publishing.

On the other hand, I read a lot of wonderful books this past year. And I know this for certain: No award can change my personal connection with a book. I have loved many books over the years and many of them did not win awards. Not at all.

Awards are wonderful, don't get me wrong.  But the real prize is reading. The real prize is when you fall in love with a book and that book becomes a part of you, changing you forever. So, to the books I have adored this year (and you know who you are), if your day tomorrow ends without a shiny sticker, believe me when I tell you that you are still beautiful, just the way you are.

hrh

1 comment:

Myrna Foster said...

I feel the same way. The awards are totally subjective.