Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Story School #2

Hello and welcome back! 

What is Story School, you ask--let me tell you.  Every Wednesday this summer, I'll post a story starter of sorts.  It might be an idea or a prompt.  It might be just a single word.  Who knows!  Story School started as a way for me to continue to connect with the students from my school (about writing) over the summer. But really, Story School is for everyone, young or old.  Writing exercises often get my writing juices flowing so I thought it would be good to share some of the stuff that works for me! 

First off, thanks a bunch for the responses to last week's prompt. I foresee lots of books in the future about baby monkeys!!  I loved the poem that began:

"What do you do
When a baby mokey
shows up at your house
and demands
a banana?"

And there were several great stories.  A few were realistic, with an essence of THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN, but most were very funny. So were their names: Chim-Chim, Rascal, Bob, Margaret (a girl!) and Banana-Head. 

As for me, I named my baby monkey Babby. He was quite mischievous!!  He somehow ended up in the Space Program!

Now for this week's Story School idea.  

Here is the word:  ESCAPE.

I am hoping this prompt will help me out a little. I am in the middle of revising a science fiction book, and I need to rewrite an escape scene since it is boring--even for me to have to read it!  So, I need to completely re-do this chapter to is buzzes with intensity. 

As for you, well, have fun with the word ESCAPE. You can have your characters escape from a villain in an unusual and amazing way. You can pretend you are escaping from school (ha!) or someplace else into the wild and have an imaginary (or not) adventure . You can write a poem or a song about escaping--what do you wish you could escape from?





hrh

No comments: