Pages

Books are available from Indiebound, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and many other fine shops.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Rigor? Really?

The teacher speaks:

Rigor.  What an unpleasant word. I am going to start by saying that I am tired of it.  The word just needs to go away.

We don't need more rigorous standards.  We need more thoughtful standards.

 We don't need a more rigorous curriculum.  We need a curriculum that inspires curiosity in a greater way.

We don't need to guide children only to books of higher rigor.  We need to inspire and invite children to read widely and wildly.

I could rant, but I am tired of ranting about this.

Rigor is not the answer.
Wonder is the answer.

What fosters wonder and curiosity?  Doubt. Difficulty. Uncertainty--that which is Strange. Perplexing. Weird. Unfamiliar. Novel.

Which brings me to my next point.

You can find all of the above in STORIES. .  More stories. That is what schools need.

(Well, that and a big dose of Humanity.)

If you want schools to be the best places for our children, bring Wonder and Humanity to the forefront, not Rigor.

hrh