Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

The End is Near (the end of Summer, that is)

Sorry the blog has been so quiet!  I meant to post  Story Schools 8 and 9  while I was away, but it didn't work out the way I had planned.  Sometimes Blogger is fun like that.  Oh well.

Anyway, you guys hit it out of the park on the last Story School.  So many different types of superheroes!  I couldn't choose a favorite if I tried.  But I will tell you that Celery Man has a very unusual power and you don't want to meet him if you are chowing down on junk food, and Star Baby is downright adorable, but watch out for the tantrums!  Oh, and the battle between The Pinkie and The Goldfish has to go down in the record books as one of the strangest things ever!!

And there was one piece, a poem, about what it really means to be a hero that tugged at my heart.  This young writer made me think about heroism in a new way.  Well done.

The school year is knocking on the door here, and some of you have already gone back. Can you believe how quickly the summer has gone?  I can't.  I mean, I just can't.  The other day I was in JoAnn Fabrics and they were selling CANDY CORN by the register!!  My first Candy Corn sighting of the season.  It was only August 8!!  (I wonder what Celery Man would have to say about that!!)

But I did manage to accomplish some of my summer goals, which is a good thing.

I did watch a desert sunset:
From the review mirror.  New Mexico sunsets are the best.
And I made it to the Santa Fe Opera:


The view from my seat before sunset.  Just to the left is the stage.  Those folks down there are just enjoying the awesomeness.
 And I rode in the tiny tram car to the top of a mountain:

The mountain was HIGH and Cali and Sean hiked the La Luz trail to meet us at the top.  Yes, they are beasts!
And I ate a cronut but I didn't get a picture because I ate it too fast.

I got to see one of my covers (for NO, NO, KITTEN) and the design but not finished product for SECRETS OF SELKIE BAY. Hopefully I'll have stuff to show you soon.

And...I got to breathe.  Lots of wide open spaces and big skies really helped me out some. 

So, not too bad--didn't get to Catalina yet, but that was mostly due to heat.  It has been HOT here.  It was actually cooler in New Mexico than it was here in SoCal for most of August.  

Now I feel like I can face my WIP draft again.  At least I hope I can.

xo-

hrh 


2 comments:

Julie Dao said...

I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever, Shelley! It sounds like things have been going well though :) I haven't had a cronut yet, but I've heard good things and I'm sure I would inhale mine just as fast. And I cannot believe it is fall, either - they have pumpkin-flavored everything at Target :(

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a busy summer. : )