Sleeping Beauty was the first movie I can remember seeing in an actual movie theatre. It wasn't on its first run, though. It was a summer matinee for kids in an air-conditioned theatre, not at a drive-in.
I was so excited!
Maybe that is why it holds such a special place in my heart--the first movie I didn't have to watch from the back seat of a hot car with two giant heads in front of me!!
Regardless, I identify with this princess who lives, sleeps, and reawakens, more than most of the other mainstream princesses. You see, the teacher part of me hibernates in the summer and now, with just a hint of Fall scent in the air, she awakens, her task before her.
Ah, the task.
As I was beginning to get ready for this school year, I read this post by Robin LeFevers about being silenced as a writer and finding power in your own voice. Normally, it would have struck a chord deep within me anyway, but because the Sleeping Teacher was awakening, it took on new meaning. And so, with a new brilliant school year dancing before me, I thought of Seven Things* I want to remember in my teaching this year:
1. I want my students to find the power of their own voices. I never want them to feel silenced. I want them to see their writing notebooks as a place that is always safe.
2. I want the classroom community to reflect the wonder of childhood and of each individual student.
3. I want Curiosity to abound!!
4. I want to remember the beauty we awaken to each day and I want to remind my students to stop, look, listen, smell, and appreciate.
5. I want to keep the crushing realities of budget cuts as far away from the children in my class as possible.
6. I want my students to feel empowered by learning. Not overwhelmed by it. (Or worse...underwhelmed.)
7. I want to allow teaching to fill me up, not drain me. It's all about perspective.
And so, with an excited heart, I am off to conquer another year living and writing side-by-side thirty-two eight years olds.
Life is good.
*My second post on Seven Things in honor of The Seven Tales of Trinket. Hoping to squeeze five more in before September 4th when it releases!! When it rains it pours!