Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

In Which I Visit a School in Alabama

I always love reading authors' posts about authorly visits and such and I always swear that I am going to take more and better pictures of mine than I end being able to do.  Alas

My most recent visit was to Montgomery, Alabama.  That's right folks, Alabama!  The wonderful Benji Martin, librarian at St. James School, had asked me last Spring if I'd consider traveling all the way across the country to do an author visit at his school.  I replied that I'd love to, but that my time constraints were pretty narrow--basically we had to arrange it during my Spring Break or I couldn't do it.  Luckily, Benji was able to make it work and a year later, there I was, meeting the amazing kids of St. James School in Montgomery.

You know, bringing an author to a school is such a powerful thing for kids. It is a way of making literature come alive, and planting a seed in a book-loving heart that someday might bloom into something quite extraordinary.

 Like maybe even a new author.

But before I get too philosophical, here are a few pictures of my adventure:
Yes, a kid drew this, in about 45 minutes, too!

Yay!  The horse gets a moment of stardom!

Yeah, I know, it's blurry. My crumby hand shook.  But I love it so much anyway

I love how this young artist totally captured the dragon's stylin' clothes!

Monkey business.

More monkey business--and I look quite distressed.  But I can assure you I wasn't really.

Oh, she's not going to read her OWN book, is she?  Yes, as a matter of fact, she is.


What you can't see from these pictures is how incredibly HUGE and GORGEOUS this library is--and how filled it is with books and coolness.  There is even a sorting hat!! (Yes, I am still Hufflepuff, in case you were wondering.)

I wish I had gotten a picture of Benji and me together.  Boo.  But at least he was kind enough to send me the action photos.  (That's right, I only remembered to take pictures when I first got there then SSLLUURRP--down the drain went my good intentions.)

Thank you so much for having me, St James School!

hrh

4 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

That community is lucky to have you visit! Love the pics!

Unknown said...

She's right. We were very lucky to have you visit. Thanks again. Our students (and I) will never forget it!

Benji

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Oh, what fun! And a sorting hat, too.

Unknown said...

thanks for you information, don't forget visit my blog
obat kanker prostat
obat kanker hati
obat kencing berdarah
obat kencing manis